Warrant against Sanjay Dutt cancelled after actor appears before court


The Andheri court has cancelled the non-bailable warrant against Sanjay Dutt after the Bollywood actor appeared before it on Monday, April 17. The warrant was issued on Saturday after Dutt failed to appear for proceedings in connection with an old criminal intimidation case against him filed by film producer Shakeel Noorani.

Dutt appeared briefly before the Andheri Court Magistrate CV Patil along with a team of lawyers to file his application on the reasons why he failed to attend the hearing previously. The court accepted the actor’s application and cancelled the arrest warrant.

Dutt's lawyer Subhash Jadhav said that the warrant was issued due to miscommunication and the issue is sorted. “The process was initiated by Magistrate Patil during the hearings concerning a cheque bouncing case filed against Dutt by producer Shakeel Noorani in 2013. We apologised to the court for not being present for hearings. A warrant was issued because Dutt's counsel was not present in previous hearings. We didn't ask for any kind of exemption. (Shakeel) Noorani has lost the case against us in High Court and later, moved to the Magistrate court alleging intimidation," he said.

However, Shakeel Noorani’s lawyer Neeraj Gupta said that Dutt was not given exemption and he has been asked to be present on August 29. He said, “Next hearing has been scheduled for August 29, wherein evidence put up by Noorani will be examined. Dutt has been given bail on a Rs 500 bond and has been asked to appear before the court in the next hearing.”

The case dates back to 2002 when Dutt allegedly accepted Rs 50 as signing amount for doing Shakeel’s film ‘Jaan Ki Baazi’, which he didn’t complete and neither returned the fees. When the producer approached the court, the Bombay High Court had ordered to seize Dutt's property. Shakeel then alleged that he was getting threats from the underworld at the behest of Dutt, and lodged a complaint with the Andheri court.

 

It took around 10 minutes for Dutt to complete the formalities after the hearing. Dutt quickly moved out of the court premises, avoiding contact with the media.

Dutt's lawyer Rizwan Merchant had earlier said that as per a high court judgement, Dutt doesn't have to be present in the court for cancellation of warrant, but the actor did show up. Source close to him said that after media reports about a non-bailable warrant against him, Sanjay Dutt wanted to make sure that he is present in the court.

Neeraj Gupta, lawyer of Noorani said, "Next hearing has been scheduled for August 29, wherein evidence put up by Noorani will be examined. Dutt has been given bail on a Rs 500 bond and has been asked to appear before the court in the next hearing."

Shakeel  Noorani in his complaint has alleged that he had been threatened by gangsters to settle a financial dispute pertaining to a film for which Mr Dutt had taken the signing amount but failed to honour further commitments of playing the lead role in 'Jaan Ki Baazi'.

"The High Court case was different. This case was filed for the threat which I received at Dutt's behest. Will go ahead with the case," said Shakeel Noorani.