Arms Act Case: Salman’s plea to re-examine witnesses dismissed


Even as Salman Khan obtained a bail after his conviction and pronouncement of sentence in the 2002 hit-and-run case, a sessions court in Jodhpur has rejected the actor’s appeal for re-examining five witnesses in the Arms Act case pending against him

Salman was accused of poaching three chinkaras and a black buck near Jodhpur in 1998 during the shooting of his film ‘Hum Saath Saath Hai’. Three cases, including one under the Arms Act, were registered against the actor.

According to the case, Salman was using his weapons illegally as their licenses had expired. However, the actor maintained that he had applied for a renewal of his licence as soon as it expired and hence, he was not using them illegally.

Salman’s lawyer for the case H M Saraswat said that they were awaiting the detailed order to find out the grounds on which the court has turned down the petition. He said the option of moving the High Court was open, “But we will reach a final decision only after perusal of the order.”

The five prosecution witnesses had already been examined. But after the trial court allowed the prosecution to summon four new witnesses in pursuance of the four undecided applications moved in 2006, Salman’s lawyers also appealed to call these witnesses again. Following the dismissal of the petition by the trial court, counsel Saraswat had moved the sessions court.

Sessions Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas had completed the hearing of the petition last week and had reserved the order May 14.