Pratyusha’s boyfriend Rahul Raj gets anticipatory bail

The Bombay High Court today granted anticipatory bail to Pratyusha Banerjee’s boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh, who has been accused of abetting the actress’s suicide. After observing that prima facie there is no proof to show that the accused "instigated or intended" the suicide.

"From the statements of witnesses, it is clearly seen that harassment and disputes were there between the applicant accused (Rahul) and the victim (Pratyusha). But prima facie, there is nothing on record to show abetment," Justice Mridula Bhatkar said.

According to the latest development, the ‘Balika Vadhu’ actress committed suicide under the influence of alcohol. Bangur Nagar police station on Friday confirmed the news after receiving the forensic chemical analysis by the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Kalina.

It was also ascertained that the 24-year-old actress was under debt and used to drink very often.

FIR was lodged against Pratyusha’s live-in boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh by the actress’s mother Shoma Banerjee. She alleged that Singh had abetted and instigated the suicide.

A case under IPC Sections 306 (abetment of suicide), 504, 506 (criminal intimidation), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) of IPC was registered against Rahul.

On April 1, Pratyusha Banerjee committed suicide by hanging herself inside her flat in suburban Goregaon.

Special Public Prosecutor Nilesh Pawaskar, while seeking Mr Singh's custody, told the court that the police, after an initial probe, were looking into if murder charges were applicable in the case.

"We are confused and still seeing if section 302 of IPC is applicable. The probe has revealed that the accused is a drug addict. We want to see if he is also a peddler and had administered drugs to the victim. Several other girls have approached the police saying that they had been duped in the past by Rahul," Mr Pawaskar said.

Mr Singh's lawyer Abaad Ponda argued that Rahul and Pratyusha were happy with each other and had even partied together the night before she committed suicide. "On April 1, Rahul had gone out in the afternoon to bring lunch when Pratyusha called him. Rahul berated her for drinking in the day time and told her that he would return soon," he said.

On April 1 an hour before committing suicide, Pratyusha made a call to Rahul and warned him against the dire consequence.

"Throughout the conversation, the applicant accused is asking the victim (Pratyusha) not to take any drastic steps and assured her that he would return home immediately. After perusing all the facts of the case, this court is prima facie of the view that the police can investigate the case without any custodial interrogation of the accused," the court said.