‘Dangal’ upsets real coach of Phogat sisters; Aamir Khan responds


Aamir Khan’s ‘Dangal’ has impressed critics and audience and has been breaking box-office records, but the sports drama has upset wrestling coach P R Sondhi, who had trained Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari Phogat during the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

Sondhi, under whose mentorship the Phogat sisters won medals, has alleged that the coach’s character in the film ‘P R Kadam’ is loosely based on him, and the character has been portrayed in a bad light.

In a scene in the movie during the climax, shows the coach getting Geeta and Babita’s father and a former wrestler, Mahavir Singh Phogat locked up in a room when his daughter Geeta was in the arena for the gold medal bout.

Speaking about the scene, Sondhi told news agency ANI, "If something like that happened in reality, even though there was so much security, do you think the media would have been quiet?"   

"I don't want anything but I want to make Aamir Khan realize that if he is giving a coach’s role to somebody, he should have spoken to me before the movie was made," Sondhi added.

While admitting that he is yet to watch the film, Sondhi said that if he will discuss the issue with the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), who had hired him.

“I believe there's a disclaimer in the beginning that parts of the film are fictional, but I must say that this is an insult to the whole coaching community, not just me," Sondhi said.

Now, Aamir has responded to Sondhi’s allegations against the film and its makers. Clarifying his stance, Aamir said that every film needs a bit of fictional recreation and same is the case with ‘Dangal’.

“Like in every biopic, some bit of fiction is added but the spirit of the story of Mahavir, Geeta and Babita is intact. There may be a few incidents here and there which may not have happened exactly that way but in essence it is their story," the 51-year-old actor said.

Even Geeta Phogat in an interview to ABP News, said that 99% of the film tells a real story and the remaining 1% is fiction to make it more interesting. She added that it is not necessary that the coach shown in the film is the same coach who is objecting to his character in ‘Dangal’, as she has trained with many coaches.