After ‘Raees’ vs ‘Kaabil’, more box-office clashes to watch out for
With so many movies made every year, box-office clashes are inevitable. January 2.017 saw two major face-offs at the box office – first between ‘OK Jaanu’ and ‘Haramkhor’, and the second one between ‘Raees’ and ‘Kaabil’. In the first case, neither the Aditya Roy Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor starrer did too well, nor did the critically acclaimed film starring an actor like Nawazuddin Siddiqui. However, the second clash turned out well, and both the films performed well. Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ has even crossed the Rs. 100 crore mark, while Hrithik Roshan starrer thriller is just a few crores away from the coveted figure, and is likely to make it by its second weekend.
It is just the beginning of the, and more such box-office battles are lined up ahead this year, unless their respective makers decide otherwise. Let’s take a look at them.
1. ‘Rangoon’ vs ‘Aa Gaya Hero’ – Both the films are slated to hit theatres on February 24. Vishal Bhardwaj-directed ‘Rangoon’ stars Saif Ali Khan, Shahid Kapoor and Kangana Ranaut. It is a love triangle set in the backdrop of World War II. The movie has already generated a good buzz around it. On the other hand, ‘Aa Gaya Hero’ is the comeback vehicle of ‘Hero No. 1’ Govinda, who ruled the silver screen since late 1980s for over a decade. His fans, naturally, must be eager to see him back in action. However, it must be considered that over the years, audience’s taste and understanding has changed a lot. It remains to be seen how the clash will fare for both the films.
2. ‘Begum Jaan’ vs ‘Sarkar 3’ – Starring Vidya Balan in the lead role of a Brothel chief, ‘Begum Jaan’ has been directed by National Award winning filmmaker Srijit Mukherji, and is an adaption of his own acclaimed Bengali film ‘Rajkahini’. On the other hand, is the third instalment of Ram Gopal Varma’s critically acclaimed and commercially successful ‘Sarkar’ series, starring the legendary Amitabh Bachchan. The movie also stars Manoj Bajpayee, Ronit Roy and Jackie Shroff. ‘Begum Jaan’ and ‘Sarkar 3’ will have a face-off on March 17.
3. ‘Aankhen 2’ vs ‘Golmal Again’ vs ‘2.0’ – The film industry has ensured lot of fire-works in theatres on Diwali this year with three big and awaited films releasing on the same day. Interestingly, all the three are sequels, and Arshad Warsi will have two releases – ‘Aankhen 2’ and ‘Golmal Again’. Anees Bazmee will bring back the temperamental character of Amithab Bachchan from the 2002 heist thriller ‘Aankhen’ in its sequel. ‘Aankhen 2’ will reprise Arjun Rampal and replace Akshay Kumar with Arshad Warsi, and Paresh Rawal with Anil Kapoor. Arshad will also be seen in fourth instalment of Rohit Shetty’s slapstick comedy ‘Golmal’, starring Ajay Devgn, Tusshar Kapoor and Sreyash Talpade among others. Akshay Kumar will make his Tamil debut in superstar Rajinikanth-starrer ‘2.0’ which is the sequel of 2010 blockbuster ‘Enthiran’.
4. ‘Naam Shabana’ vs ‘Hindi Medium’ – Both the films, by their titles itself sound good and are set to lock horns at the box-office on March 31. The former is said to be a spin-off to Taapsee Pannu’s character from the 2015 hit ‘Baby’, who plays the lead role in ‘Naam Shabana’. It also stars her ‘Baby’ co-star Akshay Kumar, along with Manoj Bajpayee and Anupam Kher. On the other hand, ‘Hindi Medium’ stars method actor Irrfan Khan opposite Pakistani actress Saba Qamar. Nothing much about the film has been revealed, other than that it revolves around a couple from Delhi’s Chandni Chowk, who aspire to be accepted by the elite lot of the city. The poster of the film is quite intriguing which has a man’s feet with one foot donning formal shoe and pants, while the other one has torn chappals and tattered jeans.
5. ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ vs Sanjay Dutt’s yet-untitled biopic – One is the sequel of 2012 blockbuster ‘Ek Tha Tiger’, and brings with it the star-power of Salman Khan. His ex-girlfriend-turned-good friend Katrina Kaif is cast opposite him, while ‘Sultan’ director Ali Abbas Zafar will helm it. The other contender is the life story of the actor whose very life is stuff great cinemas are made of. Sanjay Dutt has seen many ups and downs in his life and was mired in controversies. He suffered the pain of watching his mother, legendary actress Nargis, and first wife Richa, Sharma succumb to illness, he underwent rehabilitation for drug addiction, his love-affairs in film industry, and accusation and subsequent conviction in the 1993 serial blasts and his incarceration – all this make for an interesting subject for a movie. Besides, Ranbir Kapoor portrays Dutt’s character in the movie and it is also seen as a clash between ex-flames Ranbir and Katrina. Both ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ and the biopic on Dutt are announced to hit theatres on December 22.