The Hindi feature film Paheli directed by Amol Palekar has been selected as India's entry in the foreign films category at the Oscars. A 10-member jury,
Cinema with a Purpose
In common perception Indian cinema is synonymous with the Hindi film industry, known all over the world as Bollywood. There is, however, a vibrant film culture in several regional languages of India that accounts for 70 per cent of all films in India. They not only provide entertainment but also cover a wide spectrum of local and global issues. Conversing with eminent practitioners of regional cinema, such as Amol Palekar, Buddhadev Dasgupta, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Sumitra Bhave, Goutam Ghose - among many others - as well as film academics and critics, the film presents how regional cinema has relentlessly highlighted social complexities, presented thought provoking stories, and given voice to the voiceless. In the process, it has also developed a distinctive style and a huge fan following.
Latest Bollywood News
- Radhika Apte speaks about sex before marriage and nudity
- Aamir Khan publicly apologizes to Kamal Hassan
- Rishi Kapoor building new home for Ranbir, Katrina at Krishnaraj
- Deepika, Sonam, Aishwarya sizzle at HT Most Stylish Awards
- Sakshi Tanwar to star in desi version of 'Game of Thrones'