The Hindi feature film Paheli directed by Amol Palekar has been selected as India's entry in the foreign films category at the Oscars. A 10-member jury,
Cinema with a Purpose
In common perception Indian cinema is synonymous with the Hindi film industry, known all over the world as Bollywood. There is, however, a vibrant film culture in several regional languages of India that accounts for 70 per cent of all films in India. They not only provide entertainment but also cover a wide spectrum of local and global issues. Conversing with eminent practitioners of regional cinema, such as Amol Palekar, Buddhadev Dasgupta, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Sumitra Bhave, Goutam Ghose - among many others - as well as film academics and critics, the film presents how regional cinema has relentlessly highlighted social complexities, presented thought provoking stories, and given voice to the voiceless. In the process, it has also developed a distinctive style and a huge fan following.
Latest Bollywood News
- Rani-Aditya's full love story from dating to wedding
- Revealed: Reason behind Rani and Aditya’s secret wedding
- Watch Video: Tiger Shroff, Kriti Sanon lock-lips in 'Heropanti'
- Priyanka Chopra injured on the set of Mary Kom biopic
- First Look: Ranveer Singh, Parineeti Chopra in 'Kill Dil'