Top 5 comedy Bollywood films
5 All Time Great comedies
It isn’t easy to make people laugh. And certainly not in India, where the audience full paisa vasool, and at the same time, the critics expect a fine cinematic example. It is nigh impossible to pick the best of the lot and make up a list of only five films. Here is what we came up with:
5. Hera Pheri: Priyadarshan entered the comedy genre with this rollicking flick. The story is basically revolves around the wrongly attributed telephone number of a rich businessman’s house to that of Baburao Ganpatrao Apte's (Paresh Rawal) garage in the telephone directory and all the hassles and situations that follow and precede the climax. With sub-plots as funny as the main ones, this film is a must watch for all comedy lovers. Check it out for the impeccable comic timing perfected by Rawal and Akshay Kumar (who was a welcome change from his Khiladi series).
4. Chupke Chupke: This Hrishikesh Mukherjee classic is a delight to watch with family and friends. The story is basically about Prof. Parimal Tripathi (Dharmendra) who is a botany professor and decides to stage a drama to fool his wife’s (Sharmila Tagore) jijaji, after she praises him to no ends. The hilarious sequences involving Dharmendra as the crazy driver Pyaare Mohan and Om Prakash (Jijaji) are still etched in viewers’ minds. Amitabh Bachchan as another actor in the ‘drama’ also provides genuinely funny moments.
3. Padosan: A timeless classic, the story involved is a very simple one. A simpleton (Sunil Dutt) falls in love with his neighbour Bindu (Saira Banu). To impress her by singing, he seeks Guru’s (Kishore Kumar) help. The situations that follow make for some amazing comic scenes. There is also the famous song Ek Chatur Naar, sung by Kishoreda and Manna Dey, which has gained cult status. The film belongs to the sublimely talented Kishore Kumar, both as an actor and a playback singer. The jolly gang with its sharp characters certainly is a treat to watch.
2. Andaaz Apna Apna: Rajkumar Santoshi’s comic caper, which released in the 90’s, set off the careers of two stars (Aamir and Salman). The crazy plot, insane characters and unmatchable performances by the whole cast makes this movie a must for every movie lover. Ask anyone in India the same question which we are answering now and AAA will be a film certainly to be included.
1. Gol Maal: Finally down to number one. This film is perhaps one of the most well written films of all time. The story is basically about Ramprasad Sharma (Amol Palekar) who is looking for a job. He manages to get one at Bhavani Shankar’s (Utpal Dutt) company, but Bhavani Shankar has a set of rules and ideals which he expects from the youngsters. Ramprasad overdoes it and rib-tickling situations follow. Utpal Dutt’s act as the suspicious boss and father is one of his best known roles.