Top 5 actresses in a negative role
Earlier actresses hesitate to portray negative character as they fear that they might not typecast in this particular category and won't get acceptance in lead roles. This mindset has been changed years back when leading stars like Kajol, Priyanka Chopra played grey role. Now the actresses' take pride in portraying negative role as the role is challenging. They now don't think twice to accept the role.
Below is the top five female actresses in the negative role.
5. Preity Zinta – Bubbly Preity Zinta played Sonia in 'Armaan' who is a rich and arrogant schizophrenic woman used to have things her own way. The film received positive reviews and Preity was particularly praised for her performance. She received nominations for Best Villain at different award ceremonies, including Filmfare.
4. Urmila Matondkar – Though the film 'Pyar Tune Kiya Kya' did not open well at the box office, the performance of Urmila Matondkar was well appreciated. She was nominated for filmfare best villain award and was also nominated for the best actress in 2002.
3. Bipasha Basu – Sultry Bipasha Basu was very much liked for her negative role in 'Jism'. The film has not only lifted up Bips career but also established her as one of the sexiest actresses in India. She was nominated for Filmfare best villain award.
2. Priyanka Chopra – Next in the line was sexy Priyanka Chopra. She has proved that she can equally portray good and bad character with sheer confidence. Her negative shade was well accepted in 'Aitraaz' and for this she also won an award in 2005.
1. Kajol Devgan - Versatile actress Kajol broke the trend of playing only gentle and positive role in films. She loves to accept challenging roles and when Rajiv Rai offered her to play a bad female lover in 'Gupt', she readily accepted. She not only played the character flawless and superbly but also became a trendsetter. She became the first female actor to be nominated in the category of negative role and won the filmfare award in 1998.