Shahrukh Khan's Temptation leaves fans cold
Last year’s Temptation 2004 show (featuring Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Preity Zinta, Priyanka Chopra and Rani Mukerji), organised by Shah Rukh’s Red Chillies event management company and promoted by Farhath Hussain, was a huge success.
But Temptation 2005, held in Birmingham on May 29 and Wembley, London on May 30, which featured even more Bollywood stars (including Salman Khan, Lara Dutta, Esha Deol, Tusshar Kapoor and Riteish Deshmukh) failed to attract fans, causing the promoter to lose Rs 4 crore.
Only 50 percent turnout
“This is my first Temptation show that has done so badly,” says Farhath. “There was only a 50 percent turn out. I have suffered a loss of over Rs 4 crore. I got angry emails from hundreds of people criticising the show, telling me I let them down.”
Fans were cheated
Why didn’t the show do as well as expected? “It wasn’t properly designed. Last year, Red Chillies handled the design and choreography.
This time, the organisers (Videocon), didn’t do their job. It was supposed to be a Sansui Awards night, which they cancelled suddenly and made into a show. The audience came out feeling disappointed.
They attended a three-and-a-half-hour programme with just one dance number by the stars. Videocon had signed the artistes for only one number.
Hardcore Bollywood buffs
“I knew the audience wouldn’t be happy,” says Farhath. “We had to fill in the time between performances with local talent. But the crowds are hardcore Bollywood fans.
They pay to watch Rani, Shah Rukh and Salman perform. Plus, someone leaked the news that this wasn’t an awards night, as a result of which ticket sales dropped.”
Shah Rukh’s shocker
Shah Rukh danced to the Kaal dhamaal number at the event — but just before the Birmingham show, seeing the poor turnout, he announced that he wasn’t supposed to perform since he was on holiday with his family. “It is true that Shah Rukh was on holiday.
It takes quite a long time for stars to rehearse and prepare for more dance numbers; given the short notice, he couldn’t perform an extra number,” says Farhath.
Suffered a heart attack
His losses have taken a toll on Farhath’s health. “I suffered a heart attack and had to be hospitalised,” says the promoter. “I was so disheartened that I decided I won’t do any more shows — then I received 500 emails from angry people asking me to reconsider my decision. They told me that I have brought Bollywood closer to them, and shouldn’t give up now.”