Sajid Khan’s ‘Humshakals’ becomes butt of jokes
After three big hits, ‘Heyy Baby’, ‘Housefull’, and ‘Housefull 2’, Sajid Khan felt nothing could wrong for him. He started making tall claims about his next film, ‘Himmatwala’. But after release, it proved to be a major debacle. Everyone thought that after such a blow, Sajid would smarten up and work harder on his craft. His latest film is ‘Humshakals’ which released on Friday, 20th June. The film is a multi-starrer comedy which is considered to be a staple of Sajid Khan. But after release the film has received overwhelming negative reviews from critics. The general public too has begun expressing the same view.
Interestingly, ‘Humshakals’ had a very good opening day at the box office. It made 12.5 crore on Friday, making it the third-highest opening grosser in 2014. Till now the film has made about 25 crores at the box office. But with each passing day, the film is becoming a butt of jokes. Noted film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh has given the film 1.5 stars out of 5. Most other critics have given the film very low rating as well. The main points of criticism have been the weak script, poor characterization and inane comedy bordering on the absurd. Very few films can bring out negative reactions such as ‘Humshakals’ has done. Social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook has been flooded with jokes. The director wanted the audience to laugh after watching his film but he has ended up making people laugh at him. Here are some shining examples of what the public feels about Sajid Khan’s film:
· “#Fact: Sajid Khan is still alive because he never watches movies directed by him.”
· “Deleted scenes of Humshakals: In beginning Sajid khan narrated the story of movie to Saif and Riteish, both became mad and Sajid recorded it”
· “You have to say that the person is 'Himmatwala' if he watches Humshakals.”
· “Censor Board asks #SajidKhan to keep a gap of 5 years between his films to allow recovery from earlier ones.”
· “#Humshakals released today. Stay at home. Lock the doors, or #SajidKhan may drag u to the theater & make u watch his another masterpiece”
Apart from the scathing criticism, the film has also run into some controversy. One of the three heroines, Bipasha Basu has remained absent from the film’s promotions. There are rumors of her and Sajid getting into a fight at the film’s sets. Looks like Sajid Khan has once again grabbed the spotlight for all the wrong the reasons.