Looking back into 2013- Bollywood
2013 marks 100 years of Bollywood since inception. This year has seen a lot of successes and failures. Promising talent has seen it big while we have lost many of the yester year talents. High voltage incidents such as the sad demise of Jiah Khan and jail for actor Sanjay Dutt has had us speculating. Let us take a quick rerun through the year and how it has fared for Bollywood.
1. Jiah Khan’s mysterious suicide on 3rd June left experts stumped. While her failing film career was blamed for her depression and drastic step, her boyfriend Suraj Pancholi is under suspicion. The case has not been solved yet.
2. Pran – Yesteryear Bollywood baddie, Pran breathed his last on 12th July, 2013. He had a lot of films such as Zanjeer, Upkar and Madhumati to his credit. He received the Padma Bhushan for his film achievements.
3. Shamshad Begum, the voice behind the song ‘Kajra mohabbat wala’ of ‘Naya Daur’ and many more hits of her time expired on 23rdApril 2013 at her Mumbai residence after a prolonged illness. She was one of the first playback singers in Bollywood.
4. Manna Dey – The legendary singer breathed his last on 24th October 2013 at his Bangalore residence after a prolonged illness. Manna Dey was a prolific singer who recorded more than 4000 songs in his whole career.
5. Sanjay Dutt returns to jail – Sanjay Dutt returned to jail to serve the remainder of his five year sentence. He is convicted of acquiring illegal weapons from men convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blasts that killed 257 people.
6. Shah Rukh Khan topped the Forbes Top 100 Celebrities list once again.
7. Salman Khan is being tried for homicide for an incident in 2002 where he allegedly rammed his vehicle into a group of homeless people sleeping on a Mumbai sidewalk.
8. Hrithik Roshan had a filming accident on the sets of ‘Bang Bang’ opposite Katrina Kaif. He later underwent surgery for removal of a blood clot in the brain in the US.
9. Hrithik Roshan split up from his wife of 13 years, Suzanne Khan.
10. Anurag Kashyap and Kalki Koechlin have announced their separation. Although they have not planned anything official yet in terms of divorce, they are living apart after two years of marriage.11. Ahana Deol, younger daughter of Dharmendra and Hema Malini got engaged on 25th June 2013 to Delhi based businessman, Vaibhav Vora. The ceremony took place at Hema Malini’s residence.
12. Legendary actor and theatre artist Farooq Sheikh departed on 28th December leaving a void in the film industry.