Is Bollywood going the Hollywood way?
The pressures of leading a high-profile life with lots of temptations springing up from everywhere and being in the media spotlight constantly has often led many a couple to break up. Now another celebrity star marriage has reportedly hit the dust.
With simmering problems between Saif Ali Khan and Amrita bursting into the open it seems the couple is
heading for splitsville.
Is it that today such celebrity break-ups are coming out more into the open or was this always the trend? Known as one of the biggest film industries in the world is Bollywood going the Hollywood way?
A peek into some of the most memorable survivors and break-ups of filmi marriages:
THE ONES THAT GOT A SECOND CHANCE
• Dharamendra-Hema — inspite of being married to Prakash, he got married to Hema Malini (they have two daughters Esha and Ahana).
• Boney Kapoor-Sridevi — he was married to Mona, Sattee Shourie’s daughter. After getting a divorce from Mona (he has a son and daughter from her) he married Sridevi (today they have two children Janhavi and Khushi)
• Mithun Chakroborty-Yogeeta Bali— he had earlier been married to Helena while Bali was married to Kishore Kumar. They have four children.
• Mahesh Bhatt was married to Kiran (Pooja and Rahul Bhatt’s mother) after which he got divorced and married Soni Razdan. They have been married for the last 18 years.
• Javed Akhtar had been married to Honey Irani when he met Shabana Azmi and fell in love with her. He walked out on the marriage (They had two children, Zoya and Farhan), divorced Honey and got married to Azmi.
• Raj Babbar-Nadira – When Babbar married his co-star Smita Patil the world was shocked. The much-married Babbar had two children and seemed to be happily married to Nadira. But in 1986 after Patil died after childbirth (son Prateek) Babbar and Nadira patched up.
When Babita walked out on Randhir Kapoor with her two daughters, Karisma and Kareena and started living separately, the Kapoor khandaan was shocked.
After all, the brothers Raj (married to Krishna for 42 years), Shashi (Jennifer who died, married to for 26 years) and Shammi (first wife Geeta Bali who died, then married to Neela Devi for 34 years) might have had their marital problems like any other couple but no one had attempted to separate. The rest:
• Jeetendra-Shobha Kapoor (almost 30 years)
• Dev Anand-Kalpana Kartik (50 years)
• Dilip Kumar-Saira Banu (38 years)
• Amitabh-Jaya (31 years)
• Sunil Dutt-Nargis (24 years, Nargis died)
• Manoj Kumar-Sashi (married for over 40 years)
• Rakesh Roshan-Pinky
• Bina Rai-Premnath (51 years)
• Shah Rukh Khan-Gauri
• Suneil Shetty-Mana
• Ajay Devgan-Kajol
• Aditya Panscholi-Zarina Wahab
• Sonali Bendre-Goldie Behl
• Akshay Kumar-Twinkle Khanna
THOSE THAT DIDN’T SURVIVE
• Guru Dutt-Geeta — Dutt fell in love with Waheeda Rehman and wife Geeta started drinking heavily. Waheeda later got married to Kamaljeet, her co-star in Shagun. Dutt, who could never get over his muse, committed suicide in 1964.
• Dimple-Rajesh Khanna — Khanna had asked for a divorce when he was going around with Tina Munim. Dimple refused. Later she walked out on him with the two children, Twinkle and Rinke. Today the couple today are separated but have not divorced.
• Zeenat Aman got married to Sanjay Khan, had a tempestuous marriage that broke up after which she married Mazhar Khan. Sadly even this marriage went bust as the two separated and started living separately.
Sarika and Kamal Hassan started going around while Hassan was still with wife Vani Ganpathy.
After an acrimonious divorce Hassan and Sarika got married, had two lovely daughters but last year she surprised everyone by walking out with her children, amidst reports of physical abuse and Hassan’s infidelities.
They are in the process of getting a divorce.
• Actor-singer Sonu Nigam and Madhurima are separated though trying to work out a reconciliation.
• Tanuja-Shomu Mukherji — separated
• Farha-Vindoo — separated
• Raakhee-Gulzar — separated
• Poonam Dhillon-Ashok Thakeria — separated
• Reena Roy-Mohsin Khan — divorced
• Aamir-Reena — divorced
• Nana Patekar — separated
• Ram Gopal Varma — divorced
• Feroz Khan-Sundari — separated
• Vinod Khanna-Geetanjali — divorced
• Ramesh Sippy after divorcing first wife Geeta got married to Kiran Juneja
• Rohan Sippy-Rohena — separated