Birthday Special: Top 10 movies of Mithun Chakraborty
In a career spanning four decades, Mithun Chakraborty has established himself as one of the most successful and popular Bollywood stars of all time. He also has an illustrious career in Bengali films as well. Winner of three national awards, the 68 year versatile actor turned 68 on June 16th. Mithun made his debut in 1976 with the Mrinal Sen directed film, ‘Mrigayaa’ and won his first best actor National award. Despite debuting with an art film, Mithun later went on to deliver some massive commercial hits, a rare feat in Bollywood. Here is a look at some of his biggest hits:
1.Surakshaa (1979) - Directed by Ravikant Nagaich, this was Mithun’s first major hit. This spy thriller film showed Mithun as CBI Officer Gopi aka Gunmaster G-9 fighting a terrorist organization called S.S.O. The film and the character became so popular it spawned a sequel.
2. Disco Dancer (1982) - this musical film is Mithun’s most famous film that made him a household name. It also achieved popularity in Russia, Middle East, China and Africa. This film showcased Mithun’s dancing skills which are still talked about today.
3. Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki (1984) - a revenge drama in which Mithun portrayed both father and son. It was a big box office success.
4. Swarag Se Sunder (1986) - a family drama that featured two big stars Mithun and Jeetendra.
5. Watan Ke Rakhwale (1987) - an action film in which Mithun act alongside with Bollywood legends Dharmendra and Ashok Kumar.
6. Bees Saal Baad- a horror drama starring Mithun, Dimple Kapadia and Meenakshi Sheshadri.
7. Trinetra (1991) - a revenge thriller where Mithun plays the son of Dharmendra who is killed by evil businessmen.
8. Dalaal (1993) - this drama film featured Mithun in the unconventional role of an unassuming pimp.
9. Jallad (1995) - Mithun has a double role playing both the hero and the villain in the film. Mithun won the Filmfare award for best villain for this film.
10. Loha (1997)- this B-grade film starred Mithun and Dharmendra and became a surprise hit and gained a cult following.
After a long break from acting,
Mithun made a comeback to acting in the early 2000’s and has since played
important character roles in several super hit films. Some of his notable films
from this period is ‘Guru’ (2007), ‘Golmal 3’ (2010), ‘Housefull 2’ (2012) and
‘OMG – Oh My God!’ (2012). In 2014 He will be seen in the highly anticipated
Salman Khan film ‘Kick’.