5 Highest Grossers of 2009
Like every year, this year too some films hits and some misses out. Overall, the year was a fabulous one for Bollywood. It has seen many hits and most importantly some small budget films like 'A Wednesday' and 'Dev D' has done a tremendously good business at the box office.
Films like 'De Dana Dan', Delhi 6, Luck By Chance, What's Your Rashee, Tasveer, Chandni Chowk to China, Kambakkht Ishq, Blue, Main Aur Mrs Khanna etc were badly beaten at the box office. Here the star power cannot show its power. In spite of high publicity, those films failed to stand up to the expectations of the audience. Box Office collection fell down drastically.
The multiplex strike did some damage to the films collection but at the same time the year also saw some fabulous films and has been able to spell magic at the BO.
The films that won the heart of the audience and brought smile to the producers, distributors and boom the box office collection are listed below.
5. Wanted – Salman Khan starrer and Prabhu Deva directed film 'Wanted' is made on a small budget but in the first week itself it has been able to recover the investment. The film earned Rs 38 crore in the first week.
4. All The Best – The only comic film of the year that could make audience laugh is Rohit Shetty's 'All The Best'. It is a multi starrer film made on a budget of 30 crore but earn Rs 50 crore. It opened up slowly but gradually picked up the pace.
3. Kaminey – Made away from the usual track by Vishal Bharadwaj, 'Kaminey' starring Shahid Kapur and Priyanka Chopra was one of the hits of the year. Made on a budget of Rs 48 crore, the film has been able to earn Rs.63.75 crore in India.
2. Love Aaj Kal – Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal was one of the highly anticipated movies of the year because of the sizzling pairing of Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone and successful director Imtiaz Ali. It was made on a budget of Rs.48 crore but it did business of about Rs.75 crore in its first week itself. Love Aaj Kal was amongst the best openings of 2009.
1. 3 Idiots – It came at the end of the year but struk gold. It is the biggest hit of the year 2009 and the box office collection records Rs 240 crores and still going strong. Aamir Khan once again proved his potential. Apparently based on Chetan Bhagat's 'Five Point Someone', the film not only invited success but drag some controversies also. The film has done a fabulous business not only in domestic market but overseas also.